nvlddmkm.sys prevents vista x64 from installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broom

Baseband Member
I currently have 32bit vista on a 500gb hdd and I just purchased a 1tb hdd.
I want to install 64bit vista on the new hdd but at the end of the install I get a bsod blaming nvlddmkm.sys. So I downloaded the 64bit drivers for my 7600gt onto my 32bit vista and extracted nvlddmkm.sys. When I copy it to the drivers folder on the new hdd the vista install overwrites it with the bad nvlddmkm.sys.

I've tried searching for nvlddmkm.sys and replacing with the new one but its writeprotected.

How can I:
A. keep vista install from overwriting the new nvlddmkm.sys during completion stage of install?

B. Overcome the write protection of the old nvlddmkm.sys before its placed into system32/drivers folder during completion stage?

the install seems to restart once before the completion stage. Thats when I tried dropping the new nvlddmkm.sys in the system32/drivers folder. but when I resume it is overwritten with the old nvlddmkm.sys.

If It gives me the bsod then I have to totally restart the install.

Please Help.

Okay let me try to answer this.

A.) can not be done. You can not stop the Vista install from overwriting it. You would have to hack the Windows installer. Vista's install is almost fully automated and there is no way to stop any part of it unless you shut down the PC and forget to install it again.

B.) you will have to take ownership of the file in question in order to over write it. Check in the Index thread for a topic on this issue in Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom