For NVIDIA users, do we need nwiz.exe and nvcpl in our startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

provoko

Baseband Member
For NVIDIA users, do we need nwiz.exe and nvcpl.dll in our startup?
What do they do and do we really need them?

Thanks.

You dont normally need anything in startup. Send it to the recycle bin, keep it there and then reboot. If you come across any difficulties then restore them. If there are no issues, pitch them.

Use Spybot's built in Start Up editor....go Spybot | TOOLS | System Start Up.............its even kind enough to tell you if they are needed (which they aren't) but no need to delete...just disable from start up................and everyones got Spybot (I hope).

nwiz.exe is the nVidia nView Wizard, it allows you to use nView features like multiple desktops, display gridlines, etc. If you don't use it then can probably safely turn it off but if you do use it like me then leave it alone. I don't know what nvcp.dll is and I cant find it in my startup list.

heeeey you're right it is on my startup too. i don't see them on the system tray...err "notification area". they don't seem to do anything anyways, i think i will just leave it alone.

well they are items 2 & 3 on my startup list. i see only driveCrypt and NAV2003 when i first start windows. so no they are not there. i tend to always use custom install, maybe i turned off the icons or something?

Its possisble you have nView controls enabled but have selected not to show the icon in the taskbar. To get it to show, go to your video card setup -> Troubleshooting and check "Display the NVIDA Settings icon in the taskbar"

Micro's bang on target.. :) ..I just wanted to add that if u disable the nvcpl.dll then the icon for nvida's control panel will not be available ffrom the windows control panel.

Aye29's right that the icon can be disabled from the Nvdia settig's page.

N' as far as the nwiz ... Micro's already explained it .. this is required if u intend using the virtual desktop n' have different wallpapers on each desktop etc.. Also u'll need it if u intend using other nview features like stay on top,transperancy,send to desktop ..etc..

To conclude .. in any case the 2 dll's don't have a big footprint .. so thier memory consuption is not all that great ...U can very well leave 'em enable :)

Those always come bundled with the new Nvidia Drivers, I don't use them so I just disable them in my startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom