For NVIDIA users, do we need nwiz.exe and nvcpl in our startup? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to provoko
Default For NVIDIA users, do we need nwiz.exe and nvcpl in our startup?

For NVIDIA users, do we need nwiz.exe and nvcpl.dll in our startup?
What do they do and do we really need them?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You dont normally need anything in startup. Send it to the recycle bin, keep it there and then reboot. If you come across any difficulties then restore them. If there are no issues, pitch them.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Use Spybot's built in Start Up editor....go Spybot | TOOLS | System Start Up.............its even kind enough to tell you if they are needed (which they aren't) but no need to delete...just disable from start up................and everyones got Spybot (I hope).
Old 04-25-2004, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to aye29 Send a message via Yahoo to aye29

nwiz.exe is the nVidia nView Wizard, it allows you to use nView features like multiple desktops, display gridlines, etc. If you don't use it then can probably safely turn it off but if you do use it like me then leave it alone. I don't know what nvcp.dll is and I cant find it in my startup list.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

heeeey you're right it is on my startup too. i don't see them on the system tray...err "notification area". they don't seem to do anything anyways, i think i will just leave it alone.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well they are items 2 & 3 on my startup list. i see only driveCrypt and NAV2003 when i first start windows. so no they are not there. i tend to always use custom install, maybe i turned off the icons or something?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to aye29 Send a message via Yahoo to aye29

Its possisble you have nView controls enabled but have selected not to show the icon in the taskbar. To get it to show, go to your video card setup -> Troubleshooting and check "Display the NVIDA Settings icon in the taskbar"
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Micro's bang on target.. ..I just wanted to add that if u disable the nvcpl.dll then the icon for nvida's control panel will not be available ffrom the windows control panel.

Aye29's right that the icon can be disabled from the Nvdia settig's page.

N' as far as the nwiz ... Micro's already explained it .. this is required if u intend using the virtual desktop n' have different wallpapers on each desktop etc.. Also u'll need it if u intend using other nview features like stay on top,transperancy,send to desktop ..etc..

To conclude .. in any case the 2 dll's don't have a big footprint .. so thier memory consuption is not all that great ...U can very well leave 'em enable

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 04-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

Those always come bundled with the new Nvidia Drivers, I don't use them so I just disable them in my startup.

ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Closed Thread