Ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted. Windows wont open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire_Blast_380

Beta member
Hello,

This morning when I turned on my laptop, an error pops up before windows even starts.

Error Message:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I'm using an Acer Travelmate 371 TCi Laptop and I only have an external Acer CD-Rom Drive. I found out that I have to use the Recovery Console on my Windows XP CD. The problem is that I dont have the Windows XP Recovery CD or Floppy Disk when they prompt me for it, I only have 1 port for IEEE 1394 Devices. Another problem is I dont have an Acer Recovery Disc as I misplaced it. Can anybody help me fix this problem or tell me where to download the Windows XP Recovery Console or Acer Recovery Console so that I could burn it and use it to fix my laptop. Its better if you just give me a step by step basis on how to do it. I've tried going to the Acer Website but i couldn't find any help there. Just to remind you I'm using an Acer Travelmate 371 TCi Laptop.

Thanks.

you need to get a cd from somewhere and follow this

Hello,

If you do a repair installation of Windows (XP?), you won't have to re-install any of your apps. However, you will have to install all of your windows hotfixes and updates. You shouldn't have to do a repair install, however.

You can use the Recovery Console on your Windows CD .

Just follow the instructions at the above link.

Once at the command prompt, type in the following commands:

Edited:
Code:

cd c:\windows\system32

copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"
If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and enter.

If you receive a file not found error, make sure that the path in the copy command is correct. If it is correct and you still receive the error, then try the following commands:

Code:

cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"

expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

Again, if you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y and then enter.

Also, if your OS is installed on a partition/drive other than C:, then replace any occurance of C: with the correct letter. (D: for example).

Replace any occurence of 'windows' with what is appropriate for your system. (winnt for example)

Reboot. Your system should start up normally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom