Ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted. Windows wont open. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted. Windows wont open.

This morning when I turned on my laptop, an error pops up before windows even starts.

Error Message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I'm using an Acer Travelmate 371 TCi Laptop and I only have an external Acer CD-Rom Drive. I found out that I have to use the Recovery Console on my Windows XP CD. The problem is that I dont have the Windows XP Recovery CD or Floppy Disk when they prompt me for it, I only have 1 port for IEEE 1394 Devices. Another problem is I dont have an Acer Recovery Disc as I misplaced it. Can anybody help me fix this problem or tell me where to download the Windows XP Recovery Console or Acer Recovery Console so that I could burn it and use it to fix my laptop. Its better if you just give me a step by step basis on how to do it. I've tried going to the Acer Website but i couldn't find any help there. Just to remind you I'm using an Acer Travelmate 371 TCi Laptop.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

you need to get a cd from somewhere and follow this

If you do a repair installation of Windows (XP?), you won't have to re-install any of your apps. However, you will have to install all of your windows hotfixes and updates. You shouldn't have to do a repair install, however.

You can use the Recovery Console on your Windows CD .

Just follow the instructions at the above link.

Once at the command prompt, type in the following commands:

cd c:\windows\system32

copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"
If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and enter.

If you receive a file not found error, make sure that the path in the copy command is correct. If it is correct and you still receive the error, then try the following commands:

cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"

expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

Again, if you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y and then enter.

Also, if your OS is installed on a partition/drive other than C:, then replace any occurance of C: with the correct letter. (D: for example).

Replace any occurence of 'windows' with what is appropriate for your system. (winnt for example)

Reboot. Your system should start up normally
Closed Thread