NTLDR weird problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltjdangle911

Solid State Member
My "NTLDR is missing" problem is weirder than anything I can find on forums or Google. I have tried the fix procedures for NTLDR issues with no success. Here's the thing: if I boot up normally, everything works fine and then it eventually says that the NTLDR is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. If I boot up with any CD in the CD-ROM, however, it does the thing where it says Press any key to boot from CD/DVD (and I don't press anything) and then Windows boots up normally without mention of the NTLDR problem. Explanation?

Look in your boot drive for a file called BOOT.INI

That runs your NTLDR. If it's missing or corrupted, then that would cause the problem you are experiencing. The reason why it will work if you boot from the CD first is that the computer is using the NTLDR form the CD, then finds the boot partition on the HDD, bypassing hte missing or corrupted NTLDR for the machine itself.

maybe i didn't make myself clear...

i don't boot from the cd, i simply have it in the drive, i never press a key, and it still avoids the NTLDR problem

is there a disk in the floppy drive?
Simple, but possible...

Also, have you looked at the boot config in your bios?

Xp doesn't need the Boot.ini file to load. if it doen't find it, it will look for the ntldr and then boot from that.

ltjdangle911 said:
My "NTLDR is missing" problem is weirder than anything I can find on forums or Google. I have tried the fix procedures for NTLDR issues with no success. Here's the thing: if I boot up normally, everything works fine and then it eventually says that the NTLDR is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. If I boot up with any CD in the CD-ROM, however, it does the thing where it says Press any key to boot from CD/DVD (and I don't press anything) and then Windows boots up normally without mention of the NTLDR problem. Explanation?

It seems like it is using the cd to boot from instead of the ntldr on the hdd.....what all have you tried to do?

I switched the boot sequence from 1st: CD ROM 2: HD to the HD first and CD ROM second...still has the NTDLR problem unless i simply leave the XP disc in there...

Also--something worth mentioning, when i leave my computer on at night and wake up in the morning, it appears as if it restarted itself and it's at the DOS screen where it says NTLDR is missing...

What in the world is going on? I've reformatted like twice in 2 days!

Run a full Check disk on your drive. I'm going to suspect that it's going down hill fast. Even a reformat won't correct disk failure. See what happens after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom