NTLDR MISSING, need some quick help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric is most likely correct. If NTLDR is missing, then more than likely the rest of the OS (kernel, etc) is missing as well.

ignore me. it's been a bad 24hrs for me.

let try to find out why it is missing.

what exactly did you do beore you got that error. did you mess with your ide master/slave setting on your hard drive?
did you mess with your bios?
Do you have sata or raid drives?
did you mess with your boot.ini file?

doesn't matter anymore.

With those floppies he can enter the recovery console.

When working on a SCSI computer with Win2K the file was missing but the entire OS was not. A simple recovery worked fine.

85% of the time the OS does not need to be re-installed simply replacing the NTLDR, ntdetect.com, boot.ini. Most of the time simply the first two work for me, but others the boot.ini got whacked out with bogus info. I would however agree with EricB that something has gone south and usually even if I get the machine to boot when replacing the said missing files I always run a repair on the OS.

I to would reinstall windows, however you could more than likely replace only that file if you needed to move some data off of your machine before you wiped it. Or just put your hard drive in a different machine.Here are some instructions.

If your computer is using Microsoft Windows 2000 and you are encountering the NTLDR error. Create the below boot.ini file on the floppy diskette drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from another computer using the same Operating System. Both of these files are located in the root directory of the primary hard disk drive. For example C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM should be the locations of these files on many computers.

Please keep in mind that these files are hidden system files, if you need additional help with viewing hidden files in Windows please see document CH000516.
Once these files have been copied to a floppy diskette reboot the computer and copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to the root directory of the primary hard disk drive. Below is an example of what commonly should be performed from the A:\> drive.

copy ntldr c:
copy ntdetect.com c:

After the above two files have been copied, remove the floppy diskette and reboot the computer.

Sounds like you dorked around with your boot file and now yer toasted. :confused:

Just grab a set of boot disks and you should be fine. One thing you can also try is getting a copy of a boot.ini file, and copy it into the system.

I definitely wouldn't re-install unless the other options don't work first. If the NTLDR is all that is missing, use the 4 boot CD's and the Recovery console and you should be back up and running. If the links to the boot cd's don't work, they are on MS's TechNet site as well. Should be 4 disks total, or 6 for XP.

you can also check your bios boot order. make sure it is boot to the right hdd. this usually shows up when you are dealing with both sata and ide drives and the sata is the first boot drive. messing with the bios will default it to the ide drive.

see if the master slave pins are set correctly on your hdd.

these will also make the ntldr error come up. use the above tools will not fix in this scenario either. you just need to fix the boot order or fix the pins.

You bastards cursed me! I turned on my home PC this morning and recieved this message as well!! LOL..aghh well it was time for thee good ole ghost a new image and be like brand new time :) I think it was all the damn yahoo games ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom