NTLDR Couldn't be Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry I didn't see that it was you that posted that link. I will try that, I was just trying to get as many suggestions as I could because I have to drive all the way across town every time I go there, and I've been back and forth several times.

Thanks!!

Hi,
Something to do once you have a running Xp system.
Go into C:\ and unhide hidden and hidden System files.
select and copy files:

boot.ini
NTLDR
NTdetect.com

And paste them into a floppy.
Boot up onto the floppy if any of these are corrupted and your up and runnign again.

I recently tried to put Linux first on a HD then XP (which is not adviced) and as you install XP into the second partition it is beyond the boot area so these files were put onto the first HD track and so when I installed the Linux Grub it over wrote these and XP wouldnt boot, but this floppy got me running again an then I copy pasted them back into C:\ and its OK again.
So they are handy to have saved.

Damnit, now all I have to do is find a floppy drive.... I didn't put it in when I built this new PC, and now I can't find it.

Thanks for the help guys!!

ThePainter666 said:
Hi,
Something to do once you have a running Xp system.
Go into C:\ and unhide hidden and hidden System files.
select and copy files:

boot.ini
NTLDR
NTdetect.com

And paste them into a floppy.
Boot up onto the floppy if any of these are corrupted and your up and runnign again.

I recently tried to put Linux first on a HD then XP (which is not adviced) and as you install XP into the second partition it is beyond the boot area so these files were put onto the first HD track and so when I installed the Linux Grub it over wrote these and XP wouldnt boot, but this floppy got me running again an then I copy pasted them back into C:\ and its OK again.
So they are handy to have saved.

I had the same problem. and when i deleted my linux's partitions. i couldn't boort into windows. I booted with my drive image 7 cd from powerquest. I use the restorembr.exe and it fixed it

Hi,
You can fix the MBR from the XP CD as well, in the recovery console and some of the Linux CDs have a recovery system that will replace the original XP MBR.
I use ghost but its the old one with a bootable floppy instead of a CD.

this usually happens because the boot.ini is corrupt
go into the recovery console (startup from the XP CD and press 'r')
then type "edit.com C:\boot.ini"

now you will be able to edit the boot.ini from a DOS text editor
you will need to put this into the boot.ini

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

then save, and reboot

if you can't edit it because it's read-only, make a new one called boot1.ini, put the above in it, save and exit, then when you're back to the recovery console, type "copy C:\boot1.ini C:\boot.ini"
this will overwrite the boot.ini with the boot1.ini you've just made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom