NTFS Compression

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So, watching the latest WAN show and it brought up something I completely forgot about. Whole drive compression.

Anybody using this? With SSDs and how fast our machines are it really seems like a decent idea to save a lot of precious SSD space.

House cleaning my man, I have a Thinkpad X230 as my day to day laptop (Lenovo shipping times are odd but I have a W730 on order) but it's like 2005 all over again, I just delete a lot of crap once it's no longer needed or copy it to the NAS. I am not as much of a data pack rat as I used to be but of late I am recording lots of video files an they just eat disk space and the only sensible solution I have found is archive and delete local.

I only have basic programs and Windows on my SSD since I have another 120GB SSD for games and my Valve folder is on a 3TB drive. Just seems like possibly a viable option for those that do load up their SSDs. An interesting topic that I might just test myself.

I wouldn't use it on any drive that has an OS installed on it. Drive compression means the CPU is always working to uncompress files to memory, and it will affect performance of the OS greatly.

Furthermore, a lot of data these days is already compressed. Think MP3, AVI, JPG, etc, so the space savings is probably marginal set against the loss of performance from compressing the drive the OS might be installed from.

You'll be much better off investing in a hard drive for extra storage, and keep your SSD lean, trimmed, and on full performance, uncompressed.

You should read up on the new 8.1 Update. They are gearing it so 8.1 can be installed on 16GB built in SSDs. The Linus WAN show actually explains it quite well as to why there won't be that much of a performance margin.

Back
Top Bottom