NTFS for 40gb hd??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use NTFS, it has built-in security and manages hard drive space a bit better.

Use NTFS. You cannot format 40GB with XP or XP setup. NTFS will also perform better on 40GB. You can use a third party partitioning program if you want to format the 40GB disk using FAT32.

>Partition Magic is good.

not to mention the 4gig limit on a file with fat32, meaning you couldn't put uncompressed movies on fat32

Well actually the 4gb limit is for fat16, fat32 was optimized to accept just about any size.

NTFS is definitly the filesystem you want though.

mdshort said:
Well actually the 4gb limit is for fat16, fat32 was optimized to accept just about any size.

NTFS is definitly the filesystem you want though.

???

When I was first burning dvds about 4-5 years ago, I couldn't rip it as a single file in fat32 if it was a long movie. Back then we use to rip the dvd as a single file convert to avi and then shrink it, convert it to mpeg, then burn it as dvd or vcd.

you couldn't rip movies that were longer than 120 minutes back then
because of this limitation. that was why I bought xp when it first came out. most people were shying away from it at that time because it was buggy as heck. but you could rip long movies with it

eventually they would come out with software that could rip the dvd in it original 1024mb chunks and burn those vob files properly, but back then they didn't have that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom