Now This is Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrelatedwaffle

Solid State Member
I know I just posted, but now the computer is doing things that I'm pretty sure are unrelated to the previous problems. It insists that I have "installed new programs" every time I log on, even when I've already used these programs more than once. This is just a minor annoyance. Also, when I first installed Trillian it worked great. Now when I click on the shortcut (or even go into C:\Programs\Trillian) it just hourglasses and then doesn't load. I thought I fixed it by reinstalling, but when I restarted the computer I had the same problem. So I went to the Control Panel to go to Add/Remove Programs to try to do a fresh uninstall and install, and when I click on Add/Remove programs, I get the same thing. Hourglass, then no window popping up. What is the matter with this crazy thing???

Did you use Trillian before, without any problems? If so, what've you done since then? More information will help us solve your problem.

As for the minor annoyance, right-click an empty part of the taskbar, go to Properties -> Start Menu ->Customize ->Advanced ->uncheck "highlight newly installed programs." As for trillain crashing, does it work after you install it up to the time you reboot after doing so? Try making an MD5 sum of the Trillain directory (I use MD5summer, avaliable from SourceForge, which I can't get to right now...) right arter you install and then check it after you reboot.
When you get the hourglass, look at your computer and see if the HDD access light is on. It should be if it is taking a while to bring up a window. But with Add/Remove programs, a window should come up quickly, then it should look for installed programs, which can take a while. Try scanning for virii and spyware.

Do you have administrator rights? Like digitaloracle said, try running your antivirus program and downloading an anti spyware program to make sure your computer is clean. While you're at it, you might want to run disk cleanup and defrag too.

Make sure you have backups before runnng disk clean up. I can only imagine the horrors an "automated" clean could cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom