now having problems with excel and quicken files

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
Now I am having problems with my Microsoft Office files. I backed up all my Office files, word and excel, onto a cd and put them on my Vista machine. I installed Office 2000 and it will not open them. It says it is in a recognizable format. Is this because Office is an older version or is it because it came from a computer with Windows XP? Will I have to buy a newer version of Office?

Also, I am having trouble with my quicken file. I did the same thing as I did with my Office files, I backed them up on a cd and installed on my Vista computer. When I try to open the file, it says Quicken can't validate the file, can't open the file because it is damaged. I am using Quicken 2007. Will I need to buy Quicken 2008?

Man, I am going to have to spend a fortune in software.

BTW, If anybody is curious, I got internet working on the Vista machine:D That is what I am on now. I bought a Linksys PCI adapter.

Man, I am going to have to spend a fortune in software.

Did you copy them over correctly onto your CD? If you used the built in Windows CD burner utility, then chances are it just didn't work right... which happens all the time. If you haven't already erased them off the old machine, I would recommend just using a USB flash drive to move them over. You can get a 4-8GB one for pretty cheap these days. Or if you don't want to do that, I recommend you download and use some CD burning software other than the built-in Windows one.

Let me know what you did to copy them to the CD's.

If you have already erased the originals on the machine, put the CD in to your Vista machine, and open the windows explorer (windows key+e) and then click the CD drive to see if it lists the files on there. Tell me what it says.

I still have the originals. I know I used Nero to burn it, but I can't remember if I used Nero 7 or Nero 8 trial. Would that make a difference?

It lists the word documents as DOC files and the excel files as XLS files.

I will try to make another copy and if it still doesn't work, I may go buy a transfer cable or a thumb drive.

Do you think it has to do with the version of Microsoft Office?

Did you use Office 2000 on the XP machine? What version of Office are you using now? The files should work as the .doc format and the .xls format has been the same from 97 till the most recent version of Office which is 2007. It was then that they changed the format to .docx and that. So it shoudl work jsut fine.

I think the Nero you used corrupted the files or didnt burn the CD's right. Cause you have the same issue with the Pictures. So either try to install Nero 8 and see if it helps or you are gonna be out of luck it seems.

On both machines, I am using Office 2000.

I was using a trial version of Nero 8 and I think that might be the problem. I am going to burn another copy using Nero 7 and see if it works.

Also, would it make a difference if Vista is 64bit? Could that be the problem?

BTW, I got the problem with viewing pictures fixed. I burned another copy using Nero 7. I had a little trouble transferring them from the dvd but no big deal, I got it working.

No. That wouldnt be the problem. As it isnt the OS that reads the files but the software. I really would suggest a newer version of Office as 2000 is really outdated. But i can understand that whole $$ thing. There has to be something with the way Nero burned them. Are you using Nero Burning Rom and creating a Data disc when you do this?

I just burned another copy with Nero 7 and now its working. So I am thinking that Nero 8 trail was the problem. Maybe it has to be the full version on Nero 8 to work correctly, I don't know.

I opened up Nero Startsmart and instead of going from there, I opened up Nero Express and created a data dvd.

Now I need to get my email moved over to Vista. Is Windows Mail and Outlook Express the same thing? I tried to import the folder where they are stored at but did not work. I may try and burn another copy since it has worked for everything else. Should I start a new thread for this subject?

Now no need. Since it all is the same subject. Importing you files over to Vista. Windows Mail is hte new Outlook Express. It is updated to the newest version. I think you might have to export them and then import them. I know the format is different so you should be able to see what format Windows Mail uses and be able to export your OE stuff in that format.

Could you explain how I would do that? Are you talking about exporting the files on the XP machine to a folder then burn them to a cd? I am clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom