Notepad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACIDDROPPER

Baseband Member
I cant seem to open my .txt files with notepad. when i double click the files, it gives me an error *filename* is not a valid win32 application. so then i tried again by right clicking then opening with. the notepad was not on the recommended program list so i browsed to add it. however when i selected notepad, it wasnt added to the programs list. i tried this several times and it still did not work. the only way i can open the .txt files is if i open notepad first then open a file. im on win xp. can anyone help?

does the file have the notepad icon (looks like a little notebook)? if it doesn't then it's not a text file and it probably has another extension.

goto start, programs, windows explorer and dbl click the windows folder on the left side. Click the send to folder and in the right side right click in an empty area, choose new then shortcut. Then browse to windows and then dbl click notepad. Should be next then finish. That should do it. Oh, XP. Click in winnt instead.

also, make sure that you are choosing the properties of the txt and then when it says open with, click the change button and then choose/browse to notepad.

here's a key I copied from my registry, telling the system to use notepad.exe as the default .txt file viewer
change the extension to .reg to use it

Attachments

• make_notepad.exe_your_default_txt_viewer.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom