Notebook won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaiBee

Beta member
Hi Guys,
I really hope you can help, that said, here's the problem:

My sister has an Averatec 6200 notebook that once had Vista Home Basic on it, it was working fine until about 2 weeks ago. It just stopped loading altogether.
Because it was upgraded from WinXP, she figured she would just downgrade to XP from a disk she got from school. That was a big mistake because she used WinXP Pro. Now she is getting the following error messages:

"Error:
Installation failed: D:\I386\asms.
Error Message: Access Denied"
"Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup
could not be installed"

She bought the notebook second hand just for her schooling, but now she cannot get it to work at all. Can anyone tell me what can be done to rectify this problem?
Being that it is second hand there are no installation disk to re-install. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any and all help in this matter.

Jai

You will need to get a copy of a Windows disk that matches the serial information located on the bottom of the laptop. Since the install process was already started there is no way to revert it back to the Vista install. The only hope is to get a Windows disk and install fresh.

Hi Mak213,

Thank you for your response. I guess we will have to keep looking for a new disk that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.:silent:

Again thank you for your help.

Jai

You can purchase Windows XP SP3 full Setup CD and key from here: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

But your fault sounds like a faulty Ram card, if you have two or more installed, try removing them leaving one Ram card installed only
Then once you have a new Windows XP Setup CD follow this guide, to remove all partitions and install Windows clean:
Windows XP Professional reinstall from CD
* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom