Notebook issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Notebook issues

Alright, I've been fiddling around with this Dell Inspiron 1100 long enough, I'm just plain frustrated at this point and need a new perspective.
Here is the issue: The computer was running very slowly, the hard drive just clicking and whirring along, just general performance issues. I decided to clean it up, and see if I could get the performance to improve. Well, I couldn't get the thing to improve, so just decided to format it. It took forever to do it, but the real problem didn't begin until I tried to re-install Windows XP Home.
I put the setup disk in, reboot the thing, and as the rig is booting up, it stops and gives me the message: sys.fil is corrupted, setup cannot continue. The computer then promptes me to reboot, and the same process ensues. Is it the media or is something in the MBR screwed up?
What's the issue, if you had to take a guess? I've never had this happen before, and while I do enjoy a challenge, this issue is just plain annoying. Any insight I can get is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The same kinda stuff was happening to my dell desktop.After about a week and destroying a gig of ram i decided to pronounce it dead.The motherboard always gave me problems not recognizing one thing or another, then I finally had it back up for like a year, now it a paperweight pretty much.

With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

use a win98 bootdisk and fdisk it and format it. Are you using the dell cd or your own xp cd?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I'm using the Dell-supplied set-up disk. As for your suggestion, it's the one thing I haven't tried, and it may just work. The issue is, I dont have a floppy drive on this notebook, so I'll have to do it on a CD.
I'm gonna go give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the idea, it's so obvious it slipped my mind.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

can you get a external floppy drive?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to MeltedPanzy

I work in a computer repair shop, we fix at least two dells everyday. Not to mention once we want to DOA we have to sit on the phone for 45- 50 min for some ******* that doesnt speak engish very well and knows nothing more than how to answer the telephone and read off his list of pre-written answers. I know this doesnt help, but its good info for those ppl looking to buy a computers, STAY AWAY FROM DELL, f*ckin capitalist bastards
Old 12-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Alright, here's the situation so far:
I downloaded a win98 setup disk image, something called Drdos, I believe Caldera makes it. I burned it on a cdrom, made the disk bootable and rebooted the rig. Well, the disk boots and comes up with a command prompt. Well, I'm happy so far, and go into the Fdisk utility. The menu is pretty simple, you can choose the normal options that you would on any fdisk application. Well, when I go to delete the existing partitions and create new ones, the utility won't let me, it gives me the message : "You cannot do this in Standard mode."
Well, it was about 2:30 a.m. at this time and I just said to hell with it and went to bed.
At this point, I'm thinking of just buying a new hard drive and beginning anew.
Warez, as for your question, no I do not have an external floppy, though I wish I had one.
Yes, Dell is a bad choice in computers, but the rig isn't mine, it's my sons and his grandmother bought it for him. I wish she would have told me what she was planning, we may have avoided this whole problem.
Anyway, if you guys know any place I can download a win98 setup disk image, let me know, this one I have is garbage, or I'm just not using it correctly.
Thanks again.