Not sure where this belongs... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Not sure where this belongs...

I'm not really sure if this belong in the hardware troubleshooting board or this board cause it kinda contains hardware and windows.

Anyway,
My computer has a 60 gig hdd, yet for some reason, it's only being read as a 10 gig hdd. Back when I purchased the comp(back in 2001), the comp read the hdd with the correct size. But since then, I've done numerous re-installs of windows and have noticed that lately, my hdd shrunk. I know the original hdd is still in the comp cause nobody's messed with this one. Anyone know what's going on here? I can't really work with a 10 gb hdd when I do 3d modelling/animation. I kinda need my 60 gig back.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Has someone partioned your hard drive without you knowing about it? Or is there a 'quoata' on C: that is preventing you from using the full 60gb, will tell you how to check these things when i'm not hypo and have some sugar in me.

660GB HDD Capacity (3xHDD)
600w Enermax PSU
eVga 8800 GTS 320mb
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No, I checked, there haven't been any quota changes(i have quota management disabled). How can I tell if the drive has been partitioned? If it is, is there a way to unpartition it without reinstalling windows?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

what OS are you using? If xp or 2k, then right click "My computer" select manage. Once the management cosole has loaded, on the left side select "storage" then "Disk Management". From here you will be able to see what the drive allocation looks like.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2005, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, I did that(and it's XP Home edition). It says that I have a 16gb NTFS healthy system, then next to that is 39.91 gb unallocated. Any way to transfer that over?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

sadly, xp home doesn't support dynamic disks so you can't expand the disk from the OS. I think you can use one of the tools, such as partition magic to do that.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

just format that other partion and use it for your documents

You can move my document to the 2nd partition. Go to start right click my documents, click properties (you can only do it here) and select move. Move it to you second partition. This will speed up disc performance plus if you have to reformat, you won't lose your data.

Closed Thread