Not sure what i want or need!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentobaku

In Runtime
Hello i am running a Dell Inspiron 530, intel core2 6320 @1.86mhz/1.87mhz, 4gig (mobo max) DDR2 667 Dual channel PC-5300, 750w psu, Nvidia 9600gts. I am about to get a new OS and completely reformatt my pc. What i am tryn to figure out is what OS should i be using... Is there issues with my pc and win7? Can/should I run 23 or 64 bit? Is ultimate worth it?

I have tried researching and have came up with many different answers. I trust you all more than google. Some places say my mobo cant handle 64 and then some say there is an update so it can. So i am gonna trust what you think. if you need any addition info plz let me know.

Id say you shoudl get windows 7 32. Unless you plan on using 64 bit for any particular reason 32 would be easier. There is really no reason to get ultimate.

I would do some research on the whole 64 Bit thing. Cause if your CPU can handle it then i see no reason not to go 64 Bit. 32 Bit and 4GB of RAM will not allow you to use all of your RAM. You will be limited to 3.25GB of the 4GB due to the limitation of 32 bit.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

That explains it more. So if you want to be able to use the full 4GB then 64 Bit is the way to go. I can tell you from personal experience running Win7 64 Bit that there is no problems running 32 bit applications. The Win7 FAQ Thread has tools on there (Upgrade Advisor) and a site to visit (Compatibility Site from Microsoft) that can answer almost every question about the hardware requirements you will need along with if the software you are currently running will work or not.

As far as which version, that is up to you. Unless you need stuff like multiple languages which only can be done with Ultimate, then Home Premium will be just fine. Maybe Professional if you need extra networking capabilities.

I have been tryn to do some research and that is what ended me up here. I have been looking it up but i am not extremely technical and through searching i have found people who said you can and you cant. That is mainly what i am asking is if I can. I am using the Dell factory mobo and chip. From what i found i think i can but i have to update my bios... but i wanted a more professional opinion.

I have been tryn to do some research and that is what ended me up here. I have been looking it up but i am not extremely technical and through searching i have found people who said you can and you cant. That is mainly what i am asking is if I can. I am using the Dell factory mobo and chip. From what i found i think i can but i have to update my bios... but i wanted a more professional opinion.

why would you have to update your bios?

Are you using the latest BIOS? If not then get it. They release updates for a reason. Just like Windows does. They fix things that are broken.

A BIOS update is very common for things like this. Just check around you will see that there was a majority of mobo's that needed BIOS updates to use Vista. A BIOS update might be needed for various things. Such as adding features to work with Win7.

Check the Dell site. You should be on the latest BIOS. After that go to Win7.

Ty for help... I understand the importance of updating... I am running an Dell Inspiron 530, intel core2 6320 @1.86mhz/1.87mhz... Bios version 1.0.18 which is newer than dells websites... I have tried researching this on my own, the main thing i am trying to figure out is my mobo/cpu able to run win7 x64... in my own research i have found mixed answers, so i am asking you guys. I just need to know if i can run 64bit, i want to run 64 if i can but if not that is fine too.

Sorry to inform you, but the answer is quick and easy to find.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Just look at any place that sells the CPU. There check the Specifications. From there see if it has 64 Bit support. This CPU does have 64 bit support. So you will have no issue at all running 64 Bit. If the CPU has 64 Bit support then the system will. 64 Bit support is more centered around the CPU than any other aspect of the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom