Not on the domain but logging on the server mapped drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABCD

Beta member
People come in to the office with their laptops. They connect them to the network but the laptops are not on the domain. (I don't know if that is the right way to do things) Anyway the boss used to find that when he first logged into windows and tried to access one of his mapped network drives (on the server) that he had to enter a username and password that had permission to access the drives in question. Once he had done it for one, it wasn't necessary for the rest of the mapped drives. Anyway, I managed to solve this problem by making sure that his windows username and password matched a username and password of one of the users entered on the server. Then, when he logged into windows and tried to access the network drives on the server it validated his username and password behind the scenes. In other words, he wasn't asked to enter his server username and password because he had already entered these when he logged in to Windows XP.

He has just bought himself a new PC and installed all his software. Once again the laptop was set up with a non-matching username and password. Once again I altered it so that the Windows username and password matched those on the server (SBS2003). Unfortunately, it is still asking us to enter qualifying username and password when we try to access the network drives.

Either I have forgotten what I did last time or there is something that I just don't know. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom