Norton Vs AVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

joon_elkin

Solid State Member
hi,

A couple of friends recommended getting AVG instead of norton. After I read some reviews, I found that AVG doesn't detect all viruses. Is that true?

What do you recommend.

Thanks

I use AVG on 3 of my 4 machines and would rather use it on all 4. the 4th has Norton. I'm not supper impressed by nortan, but I do like AVG. It's simple and easy and doesn't take over the machine...
as to what you posted, I have not had any trouble with viruses on my AVG machines, nor on my norton. So I don't know about that...

I run AVG and it works great. I used to have Norton and was more complicated and sometimes it seemed Norton would crash my computer even. I would definitley stick with AVG.

NO anti-virus program detects ALL viruses. If anyone claims this, they're either a fool, or really naive.

Norton can be a resource-hog if you don't set it up correctly, and especially if you don't know how to use it. In Norton's defense, their corporate setups are excellent...but their individual home setups can be a little of a pain if you don't know what you're doing.

I agree with ShoobieRat,

If you mean AVG as in the free one stop, in the ways of free AVs
Free-AV kicks ass. I think the real question is do you have the cash? if 100 bucks is nothing Id go and grab norton. If you can handle your own when viruses/trojans hit then maybe something freeware might be it. it all comes down to money, be it your cash, or your time. (reference to that old saying that time is money blah blah blah) =)

I with Inaris on this one. AVG in conjunction with ZoneAlarm has kept me free from viruses for over a year now. I don't particularly like Norton, too much of a reason hog and like Inaris said, it takes over your computer.

i am using Norton AV.
but it works fine for me.
i had installed AVG before but it is not really that good for me so i stick back to Norton again.

ShoobieRat is right, Norton is only a resource hog in the following situations.

*You dont know how to configure a program.
*You dont know how viruses work.
*You are not a power user.

Norton Auto-Protect (the program you are refering to as a resource hog) is simply for people who dont know how to safely use computers and dont know what to look out for. You can actually turn Auto-Protect off, using no resources and still scan a file for a virus if you can believe that.

Symantec corporation (Norton) is one of the companies that actually hunts viruses, so if AVG or whatever recieves a virus definition, they are probabily getting the definition from Norton. And no program can detect ALL viruses, Virus makers are always one step ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom