Norton Internet Security 04 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to graffitirebel
Question Norton Internet Security 04

I've always used Norton Internet Security on my computer and I don't have any problems with it as long as I keep it updated and use AdAware & Spybot along with it. My subscription is about to expire in about 15 days and I'm thinking about uninstalling Norton and using AntiVir and ZoneAlarm instead. (i don't want to pay the subscription fee)

Could I just uninstall Norton Internet Security and install the other software? Or... would it just be easier to start off with a clean install of the OS without Norton (I've got plenty of storage to backup files)...

I've heard Symantec's software is pretty tough to get rid of

Has anyone had experience with uninstalling Norton Internet Security successfully?

Old 01-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Just uninstall it and you should be fine. Ive had no problems doing so. But if you do run into problems, I know how to get you around it. It's very easy.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn

just make sure you don't install za with norton installed.......they absolutely hate each other....i can't even get my system to start up when i had both installed...
uninstalling should be fine.....just go into your registery and delete the stuff that is left behind if you want....
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Old 01-30-2005, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

You can use Zone Alarm and Norton together just as long as you don't install the Zone Alarm with antivirus. If you do, it will want you to delete Norton. But I use it and it works just fine.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to graffitirebel

will using a utility such as Registry TuneUp be ok for cleaning out the registry? I'm not too comfortable with digging around the registry on my own.

thanks much for the advice!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't advise using any registry editing tools but that's up to you.
I usually go in myself and delete what I want not what the registry tool wants to delete.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

registry tools= REFORMAT
Old 01-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

iv used alot of diferant firewalls , but this is my favorite so far , and its free..........http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm
samsung 512 mb pc 3200
WD 80 gig ata100 7200 rpm
Onboard sound / realtek 5.1 based sound
7 year old cheap *** 17\" monitor but looks great , im surprised its still running , its bin through 5 computers so far.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

I have always hated unistalling and reinstalling antivirus and firewall programs especially norton. Even after an uninstall, norton will leave behind a whole bunch of junk. If you have the time and the patience i definitely would recommend yout o reinstall the OS and then install the new antivirus software. It wont just help with Norton's junk but it'll be a completely clean install and ur system will feel better. Thats what i do once a year, reinstall the OS and grab the latest version of the software.

Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA Hard Drive + WD 120GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
LG Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Closed Thread