Norton Ghost Won't Install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted.

Solid State Member
Hi, all.

I have Norton System Works Pro. 2003 and I didn't renew it last year. I have since uninstalled it and installed onto another partition. However Ghost won't install. It goes through all the motions and the dialogue box says the Ghost files are being installed, but no Ghost files are copied!

I've removed all Symantec files from the Registry and from "Applications" in Docs & Settings. Also, the one touch check is disabled because the programme has expired!

I thought that only the virus updates were cancelled if you didn't renew your subscription. Is this not so?

Is this why Ghost won't install?

Will previous Ghost backups still be "Restorable"?

I am sure u can still restore the previous backups. just install another version of Ghost for example.

The problem is probably that it is expired, have your tried to completely un-install it?

BTW... You should try DriveImage or V2i ... a far more better program for making backups.

what OS are you using, if you didnt change and it worked then it shouldn't matter but i know it doesnt run on server OSs

Hi to, The Major.

Thank you for your reply.

I started with the Uninstall programme on the CD, then ran the Symclean tool which said there was no System Works files left. I then ran Regcleaner and RegscrubXP and removed all the Symantec entries. I also manually some files in the Registry which were suggested in a help file. I then deleted all references to Symantec in My Documents/User/Settings/Applications folder.

It's obviously still not completely gone as I still have the Norton recycle bin which I'm trying to get rid of at the moment. I've managed to remove the Protected Files section, though.

BTW. Isn't Drive Image a Symantec product now?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there to, deldude4100
Thank you for replying to my post.

I am using XP Home.

---------------------------------

Hi again, to The Major.

I have Drive Image 4 which I received with my Soltek Mainboard, but the docs don't mention support for XP. Would you know?

What about your CD? Does it have any scratches or fingerprints that would keep the files from being copied?

I would recommend DriveImage 2002 or version7(aka: Symantec V2i) These work very good with XP.

PowerQuest was bought by Symantec, that's correct... and I hate it.

Hi, silence782,

No scratches or marks on the CD.

Thank you, anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi to, The Major.

Thank you for your reply and help.

Hi again, to The Major.

Although I can't install Norton Ghost I have discovered I can still use the programme with the Bootable Rescue discs I created earlier.

I have now created an Image file of my C:\ drive and saved it to my D:\ partition, but am not sure if Ghost will allow me to restore it.

Question (1): If I create another partition on my removable HDD E:\ can I restore the Image file to this partition?

Question (2): If I create a bootable CD with Nero can I make a bootable Ghost Rescue CD by copying the files from the two Rescue floppies?

1]Yes, if its on another partition than the "target"partition.

3]Don't know. Maybe. Lookup a "bootable CD" tutorial on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom