Norton Ghost crapped out my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your help. I had to wipe the partitiions and re-install xp

The xp fixmbr, when I eventually got to it, totally crapped out the boot record after booting from original installation cd and using repair option.

Symantecs ghreboot.exe is total crap - BEWARE

I appreciate all your help. I had to move on because a client is desparate to get his pc back. A now very angry client who won't be using any more symantec products I can assure you!

I have had this happen with a SATA drive as well..not sure maybe it doesnt like SATA?lol..Anywho besides that one time I have never had a problem with Norton Ghost and still reccomend it to this day to all my normal people as well as corporate people.

Yes basically you are on the right path to recovery..probably the first time when you tried to enter the recovery console you just hit "enter" rather than typing in the "1" for the OS you wished to logon to THEN enter. As for the adminitrator password if you never entered one simply hit enter and see if that works as it is usually blank...you will know if it is wrong as it will tell you..If it is right you will see thw C:\windows> then you can type in the command to fix the boot record.

EricB said:
Way to help a person out shoobie. since you claim to help people. I've yet to see that happen.
Where the heck did this come from?
I gave my advice, and the joke was funny and on topic. No insults were made. There was nothing wrong with that post.

This comment wasn't needed. You talk a lot about me causing problems...heh...All I see here is you trying to stir up a fight for nothing. Be gone. I'll have none of this brass behavior.

ShoobieRat said:
Where the heck did this come from?
I gave my advice, and the joke was funny and on topic. No insults were made. There was nothing wrong with that post.

This comment wasn't needed. You talk a lot about me causing problems...heh...All I see here is you trying to stir up a fight for nothing. Be gone. I'll have none of this brass behavior.

Actually, that was in response to something you said the other day. that you help people out. I have never seen a helpful post by you

don't get mad if I start something with you first. you do it to me and everybody else all of the time

this version of Ghost can have issues with SATA, ensure you have the latest updates via Live Update, though a good chance you will have to update to the latest version (SATA was quite new back then)

Hello Shadow
Yep, you got it! Hole in One!
Now.. where's that crystal ball...

Still, Symantec should have a cleaner exit strategy that offers the end user (totally non technical users generally) a user friendly restore function of the boot sector that ACTUALLY WORKS. SO, in the event of hardware development superceding their software they should enable the user to boot off floppy and cleanly restore the boot sector. Sorry, I have no sympathy for Symantec, a company as large as this, with a professional team of designers and coders, should really produce better sioftware than this.
And .. no.. I won't be recommending their products to anyone, to none of the schools or businesses I work for.
Sloppy products don't deserve recommendations

Sorry for the interruption...

EricB and ShoobieRat, please take your personal conversations to an IM, or elsewhere. We are tired of reading your confrontations.

If they continue....well, please don't let them continue or I will be forced to stopping them. If you wish to PM me about this, please do.

Dave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom