Norton AV 2005 and Microsoft Office Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Norton AV 2005 and Microsoft Office Problem

Hi everyone im having a little problem at the moment using Office Xp and Norton Anti Virus 2005. Everytime i Try to open an office document wether it is a .doc file or .xcl or anything the program hangs (this is usually word). I opened task manager and found that norton was trying to do a scan on the file but it doesnt seem to be working. I shut down the process and the program and file open up but it then tells me that the file i was trying to open is infected and should be deleted. I dont delete and the file opens up fine. I know the file isnt infected with anything it even happens when i try and open a blank document. If anyone could help id be extrememly grateful as this problem uis such a nuisance

Thanking everyone in advance

1024 Mb DDR400 RAM
160gb Maxtor H/D
Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT Video Card
Win Xp Pro
Old 05-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

uninstall norton and download avg or avast. they are better faster and free

Old 05-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I dont really want to unistall it yet unless i have to as i just paid for my subscription. But if it comes to that then i guess ill have to. Thanks for the quick response
1024 Mb DDR400 RAM
160gb Maxtor H/D
Win Xp Pro
Old 05-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I see you haven't heard of the new tricks that the virus makers are pulling. they are making you think NAV is scanning your files when they are actually scanning it. norton code is so widespread they (virus writers) are using it to their advantage.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Oh Ok i didnt know that, so you think my best bet is to unistall NAV and get a different scanner do either of the two you recommended come with a firewall as well as the virus scanner
1024 Mb DDR400 RAM
160gb Maxtor H/D
Win Xp Pro
Old 05-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by cerberus98
Oh Ok i didnt know that, so you think my best bet is to unistall NAV and get a different scanner do either of the two you recommended come with a firewall as well as the virus scanner
Avast has a little bit of a firewall feature, get zonealarm. it free and it's better than norton's. I use to use norton product until I found out there was better. avg and avast use a Heuristic filter, which can discover new viruses before they are made public.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

This might work for 2005

1. Start Norton AntiVirus. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2002.

Note If you installed Norton AntiVirus as part of the Norton SystemWorks 2002 program, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton SystemWorks, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2002.
2. Click Options.

NoteIn Norton SystemWorks 2002, click Options, and then click Norton Antivirus.
3. Under Other, click Miscellaneous.
4. Under How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected, click to clear the Enable Office Plug-in check box, and then click OK.
5. Restart the computer.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok i was trying to unistall NAV and it came up with an error saying it wasnt able to uninstall.
"Norton Antivirus 2005 Unistallation has failed. Do you want to try again"
And ive tried again and i get the same error. is there anyway you can help me get rid of it
1024 Mb DDR400 RAM
160gb Maxtor H/D
Win Xp Pro
Old 05-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Go to program files and look for the NAV folder and start deleting the files in there and if they wont delete, rename them to whatever, then try to delete them and if they still wont delete, reboot and you then should be able to.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

go into the norton options and uncheck "enable office plug-in". I unchecked it cause i had the same problem as you.

Closed Thread