norton antivirus 2008 or mcafee virusscan plus 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Baseband Member
Hi. Any recommendations for any of the 2 antivirus software?
Most importantly, it must not have conflicts with windows vista and I am using the home premium edition.

Regarding OEM and retail, is there a difference between the 2? Which is recommended as well?

My concern is that free av software virus definitions are different from paid versions in terms of effectiveness.

No. Free antivirus software is just as effective and in most cases more effective then paid subscription. Also I read reviews on McAfee and it is not a very good program.

I used to have the same thoughts until i got Comodo Firewall (yes i know it's not anti-virus) but still it does a great job.

If you feel you need to purchase anti-virus theny i would highly recommend Kaspersky (which i use) or Nod32. Both easy found using everyones friend!

As Eric1 advises, stay away from Norton and McAfee, very over-hyped and requires a lot of system resources to function, and i second that.

Add TrendMicro to Bugg's list. All three are top-notch.

I third the statement about Norton and McAfee being system hogs.

I use Avast and it is excellent. It also works in Vista without any problems.

Norton is a joke and is among the worst security software available.

My concern is that free av software virus definitions are different from paid versions in terms of effectiveness.

If that is really your concern they both have a paid version as well. Both are way better than McAfee or Norton.;)

avast! antivirus software - computer virus, worm and Trojan protection by ALWIL Software
The Pro version is the paid version and offers some things that the free doesnt. But the free Version is still above and beyond better than McAfee or Norton.

AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads
AVG has a Interney security suite that is pay and from the sounds of it very good. I have only 2nd hand knowledge of AVG as I haev never personally used it. I have used Avast.

Antivirus Software - Eliminate Spyware and Adware with ESET NOD32 Antivirus
NOD32 and the home of Eset Smart Security. I currently use NOD32 as it is one of hte best. Right up there with the top AV apps. I personaly think this is better than AVG or Avast free. Eset Smart Security is a all in one with firewall and anti-virus.

Antivirus & Content Security Software | Securing Your Web World: - Trend Micro USA
TrendMicro. I have heard great things but again never personaly used.

My boss has the same mindset...one which I need to get him out of b/c he's a Norton freak....

Anyway, I second that Norton/McAfee are resource hogs/ineffective. Nod32 is one of the best, if you want to pay for one, and as for freeware, AVG is one of the best in that area. I use Nod32 on my systems, and I put AVG on my parent's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom