Norton AntiVirus 2004 installation problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2004, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Norton AntiVirus 2004 installation problems

Hello all,

I wanted to share my recent experiences assisting a client in fixing Norton AntiVirus 2004. He had purchased the downloadable version in early November 2003 and installed it on his computer. The software and LiveUpdate worked correctly for a while, and then LiveUpdate would generate an error message indicating that it could not update an installed program as it was a pre-release or beta version. This is where I came in.

First I uninstalled NAV 2004 from the machine and re-installed from his downloaded installer. No change.

Then I uninstalled NAV 2004 and ran Norton's supplied programs to ensure no remnants of previous Norton installations were present (Rnav2003.exe and SYMCLN.exe). Re-installed NAV 2004, no luck.

Then I followed the various instructions in Norton's support site for LiveUpdate errors. 1) Delete cached downloaded LiveUpdate files and 2) update root certificates. No luck.

Uninstalled all Norton products and re-installed LiveUpdate from the latest version on Norton site. LiveUpdate connects and verifies subscription, then updates itself successfully. No errors.

Re-install NAV. Same errors.

After going through all recommended options from Norton, I decided to re-download NAV 2004. The file we received was slightly different in file size from the original. When de-compressed into the temp directory over the previous installation files, a number of the files needed to be overwritten as they were different in size and modification date.

We installed this 'new' version, ran LiveUpdate and everything updated successfully.

My theories on how this could have happend include the following:
1) The original downloaded file was somehow corrupt (not likely, as it decompressed and installed without error)
2) Norton managed to supply my client with the wrong version of NAV

He has kept both the old and new downloaded installers and will be contacting Norton to discuss the issue. Hopefully they will be willing to inspect the files to determine what went wrong and to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to girly Send a message via Yahoo to girly

lol the new norton is crazy and unnecessary.
fact-a norton ver comes out every year they come stronger tring to keep them people out who crack it
also-did you know that you are paying extra $ just to look at a new interface-the program is the same maybe a few diff things.
overall a rip off -the liveupdate on your old version will bring up to date on virsues.

the problem you are having looks like the key code-call nortons 800 #
Closed Thread