this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcrawler

Banned
i recently installed vista 64 and all that good stuff and my 500 gig hdd is sitting at 340 gigs..
out of all this stuff theres not nearly enough to wipe out 160 gigs.i kno vista takes alot of space to install but wtf.
the only thing that is alot, is the program files and its only like 35 gigs.everything else isnt even near a gig
so my question is were did all this space dissapear to?lol
hdd.png

My question is why is a OS question in the hardware area when 2 topics down is the Windows area???

Did you format? Judging by the Windows.old folder you did not. That is your previous install. Check the size of that folder. I bet it is the same size as your old install was. Add that to the current install size and you have your 160GB of space being used.

no the old windows file is just 6 mb, i had to reinstall to make vista ultimate work casue i got it to work just by the "upgrade" option which is only like 60 bucks.lol ;)

Are you sure? Have you checked inside. That folder is only created when you isntall a copy of Vista when there is already a Vista installed on that drive. I would guess that you installed Ultimate on teh same drive that you have like Home Basic or Home Premium on.

no there was kinda a "hack" i guess u could call it?lol to get it on a brand new machine.
i just built it all and got the "upgrade".i installed it then had to install it agian in order for it to work.
but ya im positive.casue i deleted some crap in the "old"file but theres a few things left casue it said warning important file bla bla so i just left it alone.
but ya its just like 6 mb

A brand new Vista install should take no more than 10GB at most. That is with a ton of extra stuff. So you have to unhide your files to find out what is eating your space.

Have you turned off hibernate and system restore? That eats space as well.

where would i go to do that.lol
and would it even be that much?if its like 5 gigs or somethin like that i really wouldnt care,theres just a fat chunk gone
this is just kinda odd.lol

The recycle bin and system restore points hide a lot of disk space. Garbage in the user and system temp folders builds up after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom