noob question, how to keep comp from lagging during gaming - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2005, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy noob question, how to keep comp from lagging during gaming

hi all
i'm bran new here, and i'm haven some troubles. not quite sure what forum i should be posting this question in, sorry if o picked the wrong one.
anyhoo, i have a dell inspiron 5100 notebook. about 2 years old now, and as one can immagine, full of junk files. i am having trouble running my two favorite games, Warcraft III and Day of defeat. MMMAAAAJJJOOORRR lag problems. i've tried all this simple things, like running adware, defragging, clearing memory by deleting files., but still the same problem.
anything you guys can suggest would be great. thanks allot

Old 09-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

you online with playing WC? whats you vc like?

Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to homerj14

What kind of lag are you talking about? connection Speed lag? or graphics LAg?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11

im guessing graphics lag...
if you have THAT much junk crap just format because im sure its not all safe.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

it laggs even when i'm not playing, so a graphics lag i would assume. is there any other option short of formating?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

if your computer is full of junk and spyware and stuff. Then the only real solution is to format it. if you do format it make sure you have everything you need or want backed up somewhere because its all gona be gone. and dont try to format if you dont know how to reinstall everything like windows and all the drivers and stuff, do a little research first atleast.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Laptops aren't very good for gaming. Mostly the gfx cards in laptops suck.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 09-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh tellme about it. i have been running both these games since i got the comp and normally they work fine. its only been rescently when i started playing again that they have been this lagged out, because of everything that has accumulated
Old 09-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

I feel your pain george, I use to have the same problems with my Windows 98 machine. Try using a program like Process Explorer to see exactly what it is on your machine that's taking up all kinds of CPU power and memory. You also might want to try StatBar, which is like a toolbar that sits on your desktop and shows you in real time how much memory is being used, etc.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

I would reload your o/s. I tend to do it once or twice a year. Others do it more often. Its always the best start IMO.

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread