Noob needs help with OS, Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bar

Beta member
Trying to ressurect my g/f's desktop, a Dell Pentium 3 Dimension 4100. It's just for her to surf the net, basic word docs, etc.

I'm not much of a techie, but I think I have enough basic understanding to do this, and I'm frustrated since it hasn't gone so well.

She had MS ME on it, so I had a copy of Windows 2K Pro I decided to load. I went through the wizard to 'upgrade', rather than a fresh boot. After that, my monitor resolution is stuck on VGA 16 color, only allowing 800x600 resolution.

I wasn't thrilled, so I tried another 'clean' boot.

Now, my resolution is still poor, and I even uploaded the Service Pack 4 from Microsoft's site.

The other problem I have is that now on Start-up I am showing 2 versions of W2K.

It wouldn't allow me to delete the partition during the set-up, or create a new one. The only option I had was to re-use the existing NTFS partition. I'm fearful that this may cause problems down the road.

It seems to start up and run fine.

So, how can I fix my monitor resolution? And how do I remove the previous W2K OS?

Thanks all in advance!!

Josh

monitor resolution can be fixed by going to dells site and downloading the video drivers for that model dell that you have. win2k doesnt have your video card or intergrated video drivers so thats why its showing a bad res.

for the other problem, go to your c:\ and unhide all files and folder and unhide system protected folders and such and you will see a file called boot.ini in there open it up with note pad and delete the line of the incorrect windows. make sure you know which one you are booting to cuz if you delete the wrong one you wont be able to boot.

I'll give that a try...I've already printed out some info on the drivers I think I need...but I have to look in the case and see what actual video card she has. Apparently there were several used in that model.

Is there an easy way to know which one I'm booting to?

Thanks!
Josh

Does XP have integrated drivers? Or would I be in the same boat I'm in now?

XP has some of the drivers but not all, so its a 50/50 chance that it will have it.

and the easiest way is trial and error my friend, its the best way to learn. download a set of drivers from dell for that model pc, if it doesnt work, download the next set. nothing bad will happen, it will just say these arent the right drivers and quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom