no windows boot without cd - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2003, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to jrice
Default no windows boot without cd

Finally, Ive found a sweet forum for us geeks! Just wanted to first of all say this is a sweet forum!

Ok, heres the deal, I was really getting fed up with the error message "type mismatch" everytime i clicked on my computer. Them my IE kept screwing up. So i decided to go ahead and reformat and do a nice fresh install. everyone likes those. So i went ahean and used my recovery cd (xp home) that came with my pc. Everything went well and seemed ok until i restarted after trying to install some drivers for my vid card. when i went to restart my computer went straight to dos. and would not let me get back to windows. but... if i put in my recovery cd and let it boot from the cd and i press esc to boot from hard drive (as it gives that option) then it will let windows start. So.. my question is, how do i get rid of this going straight to dos thing when i dont have my recovery cd in? Thanks a lot for the help.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: no windows boot without cd

Originally posted by jrice
Finally, Ive found a sweet forum for us geeks!
i resent that. i am not a geek

welcome to the tech heaven forums jason

i would think that if he set first boot device to cd-rom than it would try to read from cd, but than go on to the next boot device if it didn't find a bootable CD.

jason try uninstalling the video drivers and reboot. maybe the video drivers are conflicting with winXP.

are you getting booted out and getting a DOS A:\ prompt or is it a blank screen? i didn't think winXP let you boot into native DOS, that really would make no sense to me.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to jrice

Thanks for the help guys. I still really dont know what caused this problem but its fixed now. I went into bios and changed the boot procedures to floppy, hd, cdrom. it works now so im happy. if i want to boot from a cd ill have to change it back.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

u could of kept it in the same boot sequence, just take the cd out when u start up ur computer.

dont call those guys geeks, they will own all future jobs.
and on top of that, they can hold it against you your dumb
<font face=arial><h1>spfdz - NEVER FORGET</h1></font>
Closed Thread