No Product Key on PC Case = Fake Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioanni

In Runtime
I was talking with this computer IT guy and we were talking about the computer repair services best buy offers and was telling me that it if the computer case does not have the product key sticker that means the copy of windows is bootleg. Is this true? That the product key stick has to be stuck on the computer and if its not then its considered to be an illegal copy?

That is so wrong. The guys at Best Buy and the Geek Squad are fools. What if it is a self built machine? How do they account for that? You dont get a sticker when you buy a OEM or Retail from NewEgg. Even if you did why would you put it on your case?

That is such bogus. The only way to KNOW it is a illegal copy is if it doesnt pass WGA. That is the ONLY way to know. Anything else is just a lie.

My machine came with XP but if i sent it in with my Vista install it would be illegal cause i dont have a sticker on there? I got my Vista from MSDN. I dont have a sticker but it isnt illegal. Perfect case. Dont listen to those guys they do not have a clue what they are talking about....

To me it makes no sense. Your right what if you build you own system. My desktop (specs in my sig) doesn't have any stickers on it. I built it and I refuse to put one of those nasty stickers on.

Geek squad is just a bunch of losers who can't hack it elsewhere. If you were to take it in to most places you would just need the COA label to show them it's legit not to stick the stupid thing on your computer... What happens if you have to get a new case ask the idiot that...

Geek Squad, say no more...

They once told me how to install a wireless video card :confused:

That is nothing. My story of them is even better. Get this...

It is late Nov. In line to buy my Wii on Release day. Standing in front of 4, yes 4 Geek Squad members. They are having a discussion of how they have to buy new copies of XP since they have to get a disc with SP2 in it. I turn and say

"Why not just download nlite, use autostreamer and update the disc yourself?"

They gave me this look of utter confusion. They looked at me like i was the guy down below. I told them that all the software is free on teh net and it is not illegal to use. Next thing i know i am having a 45 minute chat with these guys on how to do all sorts of things. I get to the front of the line where their boss is standing helping handing out the Wii's and i jsut look at thim.

"You know your Geek Squad guys dont know a thing. I jsut had to teach them how to do about 15 different tasks that should be known by anybody trying to fix a PC."

I was offered a job right there. I had to laugh and walk away...

Well, this isn't really surprising. The same people who go to get their PCs repaired at Geek Squad are those who buy prebuilts like Dell. This cause Geek Squad to become accustomed to repairing PCs with stickers on the side.

From what I've herd they don't have to have graduated from a college as a computer system technician they just have to take this course that qualifies them as computers techs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom