No Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyjdsn

Solid State Member
My wife spilled some tea on my laptop and now it says that there is no operating system. My guess is that the hard drive is now no longer good. I can't even restore with the restore disk. I have a Gateway laptop the 600 series. Is all I have to do is get a new hard drive or might there be other problems? If I need to get a new hard drive, how would I go about figuring out which one, etc. Thank you in advance for your help.

Oh, thats no good.

When your laptops boots, press esc, and see if it recognized a fixed drive 0. if not, then you've come to the right conclusion. If it does say fixed drive 0 = Toshiba m whatever , then its definately twilight zone.

1. ) If you decide to replace the Hard Drive, then there are two places I would go.

One would be the gateway site, because they would probably provide somewhat of a warranty on the drive if you bought it from them.

The other would probably be eBay. The reason i say ebay is that it may be cheaper.

2.) There may be a wholesaler of laptop Hard Drives. To be honest, never heard of one.

3. ) Any data on there that was mission-critical or what-not?

Did it spark or anything when the tea was applied? :D

Josh :D

Try the mrdinkel's ideas but i would tend to think more than just the hard drive as our friend liquid could have got into lots of places.

As well as that, set up some ground rules with your wife. :D

Yeah! thats true if the liquid reaches the mobo - then there could be a lot more that could go wrong - it could conduct something that should not be conducted... and one more thing your system may give you a display but if the tea reached the mobo it may cause damage when the system runs for a while.... so be careful with whatever you do...

This all happened while the laptop was turned off. I then proceeded to take everything apart and clean it as much as I could. It seemed to of mainly got into the hard drive as that is where liquid seemed to be coming out of. When I powered on the laptop, it says something like failed to detect the video connections or something and than the no operating system info.

When I press esc and go into what I believe are the boot settings, I can get in there fine, but that's about it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom