No LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inaris said:
EricB,
The hosts file is used inplace of a router/DHCP system. It's not needed or should ever contain anything (except Local host) on a properly configured system.
All of that information if handled by the router and DNS.
Just an FYI...

Inaris, Thats not entirely true...

The Hosts File "can/should" contain: exceptions, blocked sites, proxy settings and RAS settings to name a few.

However I don't think the Hosts file pertains to this issue like you said.

That is why I stated "on a properly configured system. "
There are ways to do all of those configurations through other means that are better. The Hosts file is and was used by viruses to get you to do what they want. Additionally it can pose a lot of trouble for you if you have something go wrong with it.

I'm a believer in group policy configuration as well as creating appropriate hard-wired protections, ie, smart routing and port/ip blocking.

hikaricloud said:
I'm working on a Dell Dimension L600cx that was all kinds of ganked up with junk, spyware, viruses, etc.

Any ideas? :?

nuff said. especially if he has the win 32 zotob virus

Re: Re: No LAN?

EricB said:
nuff said. especially if he has the win 32 zotob virus

See, the point here is I already CLEANED OFF a crap load of viruses and spyware from this thing. Don't even talk to me about Zotob, that's easy to clean off compared to some stuff we deal with. Zotob has never stopped us from browsing updates.

The issue here is that it acts as if there is no LAN installed at all, even when there is. It pings the network, but it doesn't browse. It could be a virus at fault, or a piece of spyware, but it may not be. That's why i ask for help.

It acts as if there is a software/hardware conflict, to me. I've never seen a virus act like this, nor a piece of spwyare. Maybe something got messed in the registry, but everything I have tried in this post has failed. I'm about ready to just rewrite the thing, but I'd rather not have to resort to that.

Are you using onboard or PCI NIC ?

If you are using onboard : Can you pick up a $8 PCI NIC ?

do you have any error Icons in your DM ?

Re: Re: Re: No LAN?

hikaricloud said:
See, the point here is I already CLEANED OFF a crap load of viruses and spyware from this thing. Don't even talk to me about Zotob, that's easy to clean off compared to some stuff we deal with. Zotob has never stopped us from browsing updates.

The issue here is that it acts as if there is no LAN installed at all, even when there is. It pings the network, but it doesn't browse. It could be a virus at fault, or a piece of spyware, but it may not be. That's why i ask for help.

It acts as if there is a software/hardware conflict, to me. I've never seen a virus act like this, nor a piece of spwyare. Maybe something got messed in the registry, but everything I have tried in this post has failed. I'm about ready to just rewrite the thing, but I'd rather not have to resort to that.

when you clean zotob, you have to resetall of the auto update that zotob intentionally blocked, so that you can't get the update to delete it. zotob isn't the only virus that does this either.

do you have any internet connection at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom