No LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikaricloud

Golden Master
I'm working on a Dell Dimension L600cx that was all kinds of ganked up with junk, spyware, viruses, etc.

We normally run the disgnostic tools before we get updates if it's bad enough, and it wasn't letting us browse for the updates and such. So we ran virus check and spyware scan, then we go for the updates...and we can't browse. We have DHCP enabled, but we know that sometimes it doesnt work correctly...specially in FAT32 based systems. So I put our settings in for the TCP/IP stuff...and still no go. We can ping everything on the network, and even ping yahoo.com, but we can't browse.

Any ideas? :?

Can you explain something for me ?

Are you on a domain ?
How many machines don't have internet ?
Have you tried multiple accounts on these machines ?

We are part of a weird p2p network that we set up ourselves. Only this one can't browse, the internet is fine everywhere else. On this one machine, it pings everywhere on the network, each other machine, and even the internet itself. But no browsing. As for multiple accounts, I'm not sure how you mean.

I must add that this is running Windows ME...unfortunately..

reinstall the TCP/ip protocol.
Also, try reinstall networking. Might help you.

Also, can you use the following commands?
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Inaris, I will try those tomorrow, I'm closing up the shop now. ;p Thanks though, I hadn't thought about that. :)

there's a hosts file that you are suppose to edit with notepad to unblock those site. it been over a year since I did it. I will look into it

To remove all the entries that the risk added to the hosts file

1. Navigate to the following location:

* Windows 95/98/Me:
%Windir%
* Windows NT/2000/XP:
%Windir%\System32\drivers\etc

Notes:
* The location of the hosts file may vary and some computers may not have this file. There may also be multiple copies of this file in different locations. If the file is not located in these folders, search your disk drives for the hosts file, and then complete the following steps for each instance found.
* %Windir% is a variable that refers to the Windows installation folder. By default, this is C:\Windows (Windows 95/98/Me/XP) or C:\Winnt (Windows NT/2000).

2. Double-click the hosts file.
3. If necessary, deselect the "Always use this program to open this program" check box.
4. Scroll through the list of programs and double-click Notepad.
5. When the file opens, delete all the entries added by the risk. (See the Technical Details section for a complete list of entries.)
6. Close Notepad and save your changes when prompted.

EricB,
The hosts file is used inplace of a router/DHCP system. It's not needed or should ever contain anything (except Local host) on a properly configured system.
All of that information if handled by the router and DNS.
Just an FYI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom