No internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

starforsaken

Baseband Member
Running a Win98 machine, I can ping localhost (127.0.0.1) but nowhere else. Not my gateway at 192.168.01, not any other IP, not any hostname (eg. google.ca). I can't ping the machine itself, either.

It has been assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.128, though, under the ethernet adapter. Could a virus be blocking this? My windows 98 skills are lacking, and i can't get any form of updating or internet working with this machine.

If this post was too ambiguous, ask for clarity in any of the areas. Thanks.

Heyyo,

Hmm, so by the sounds of it you're using a router correct? try pinging this: 192.168.0.1

most routers use this ip. if not go to www.portforward.com and search for your router model. Should be there. They usually say what ip you need to get into the router. If you still have probs? your router might be lame like mine and fail to work after an extended period of time, and you need to reset it. The easiest way is to unplug the power from it for like, 15+ seconds to be safe, and then plug it back in. Then renew your ip. go to start > run > winipcfg I think it's called or winipconfig and do it there.. or..

star > run > cmd

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

If it comes up with a new ip? good.

If you can ping your router, and not a website (like google) then your router may not be configured for your internet connection by Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPTP, etc. That or your ISP is having issues and contact them to see if there's any reports if anyone else around you is having internet problems.

you're all getting me wrong..

its in my business environment, i have a wireless router but that isn't the issue. Other pc's can connect fine, wireless or wired. I have like 4 boxes running right now. It's some part of the Operating System that won't allow for the internet (or even ping requests) to go out or come in. I can't ping the router from the 98 machine that i'm having problems with. I can ping the router from every other machine.

Inability to ping by FQDN (domain name) usually means a firewall issue. Ability to ping Localhost and nowhere else means possible enet driver issue or possible firewall.
Search for firewalls in that pc, lower if possible and ping by FQDN again and see what happens. If you get the same issue, try re-installing the NIC drivers.
One other thing to consider is the enet cable itself. Try reversing, or switching it out with another one. Also, try to ping the 98 machine from others on the network to see what happens.

Red Fox said:
Inability to ping by FQDN (domain name) usually means a firewall issue. Ability to ping Localhost and nowhere else means possible enet driver issue or possible firewall.
Search for firewalls in that pc, lower if possible and ping by FQDN again and see what happens. If you get the same issue, try re-installing the NIC drivers.
One other thing to consider is the enet cable itself. Try reversing, or switching it out with another one. Also, try to ping the 98 machine from others on the network to see what happens.

Thanks.

The cable is fine, and i can't ping the machine from anywhere.

It might be a firewall, but I doubt it. Will try reinstall of the driver at work tomorrow - that is more likely

what windows 98 version do you have? Versions other than Second edition seem to ocasionally give problems with network stuff. if you have a spare 98SE copy lying around give that a try.

Version has nothing to do with your issue at hand. Try re-installing the NIC. Also after you do so, try pinging by IP to the web, if you can get through then you can narrow down some of the issues. If you can't ping by IP, but show an 192.168.x.x IP addy for that machine, you may be looking at possible winsock corruption, or DHCP issues. Both of which require either advanced ability to repair system files, or a re-install of the OS.

If you can ping by IP but not FQDN after the re-install of the NIC, try the following repair on the tcp/ip stack. All you do is go to your network in the control panel, and select the tcp/ip protocol for your specific NIC, then remove it and reboot the pc.
Once rebooted, go back to the network, and click add>protocol>add>microsoft>tcp/ip then hit ok. It may ask you for your windows cd to re-install some files. Do so and reboot and see if that fixes your issue.

Thank you red fox. When I booted the machien up this morning, somehow the internet is working perfectly. My virus removal last night may have removed something.

WinSock is somethign to keep in mind for the future

thanks everybody! these forums have helped me out a lot in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom