No administator in my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
So I let me friend use my old computer for couple of months...

And today he told me he could not do anything....

So I boot it up, and noticed that the main user, has no administrator privileges, but its weird because there is only one account on it.

What can I do to fix this?

What OS are you using? Within Vista there is a hidden admin account. (ask carnage b/c he talks about it all the time:))

I am using Windows xp

My friend does not know anything about computers in order to tell what he exactly did....

he just tells me " I was creating an account for myself and this happened"

He can't even acess internet because how restricted everything got.

It is I that talks of hte hidden admin account in Vista. :p

With XP you are kinda SOL. Since he created a new account without Admin rights there is no way to force it back. He may get lucky and not have deactivated the Admin account via Safe Mode. But that would be his only hope. If not it is reinstall time.

I am using Windows xp

My friend does not know anything about computers in order to tell what he exactly did....

he just tells me " I was creating an account for myself and this happened"

He can't even acess internet because how restricted everything got.

What edition, Professional or Home edition?

Follow these steps:

1. Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 before the Windows XP splash screen (loading screen).
  2. You should find an Administrator account in the welcome screen. Log into it.
  3. Once logged into the Administrator account, go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Click on your friend's user account (at the bottom) -> Click Change the account type -> Change the account from 'Limited' to Computer administrator. Apply and ok.

I knew Vista was the only one w/ the hidden account, but he didn't say which OS he was using. Honestly if you can't get into that main admin account your SOL and will have to reinstall.

Honestly a limited account shouldn't restrict Internet though (unless Vista) - kinda sounds like a virus or spyware to me.

I believe its home edition, K ill try doing that, but if that dosent work, then his only hope is reformat?

Can HirensBoot CD help him?

Hiren's CD can only do so much, I don't believe it can this time. Well, except for the formatting tools of course ;). You must really like the Hirens CD dont you, cuz I see you suggesting it a lot lately :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom