new XP install errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I have a new hard drive and am trying to put XP Pro on it. IO have used this CD many times before with no problems. (It is a legal disk) This is a PC that the HD died and I replaced it with new. After the formatting, the install starts. I get errors copying files: dbgeng.dll, driver.cab, ntsetup.exe, intl.inf, etc.

I have tried using a new CD that has SP2 already on it, and I get similar errors. Is this possibly a CD ROM read problem?

I had similar problems installing software. It was the CD drive (well DVDROM drive in my case) that caused the read errors. Try another CD drive and you should be fine.

often times that is due to scratches on the cd or a bad cd drive just swap out the cd drive and then see if it works and if it still doesnt it could be the connection from the harddrive to the motherboard since both hard drives would appear to have failed in that case.

bad ram can also caused this error and it can also corrupted the files on your old hard drive. your old hdd might be good, I just fixed a computer friday with this exact same problem

download memtest 86 and check your ram

I found a different CD drive and did the install. It had errors, but it worked. I downloaded memtest and it found no errors. Takes a long time to run. Hopefully this solves my problem. Thanks.

it's best to run it overnight. it need to run for 8-10 hours at the very least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom