new windows installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevermore

Baseband Member
I have a windows installation with some issues. I am using windows XP pro. I cant boot from the drive, but I can boot from the XP cd and get into the windows installation/repair options. When I try to repair the current installation, the system crashes.

My real question, I guess, is if I do a new windows installation on the same drive, will I lose all of my data? I'm trying to do anything I can to keep my data.

any help or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"I guess, is if I do a new windows installation on the same drive, will I lose all of my data? I'm trying to do anything I can to keep my data"

What actually u lookup....Uninstalling the current OS and then reinstalling it????Well,upto my understanding,I should say that no datas will be lost unless u format any drive;but ur aplications wont work anymore in the new install.

Here I must tell u that installing 2 OS(especially XP) will reduce the performance greatly and the chance for crashing is more.

I wish i could back-up. The windows installation is damaged and I cant get into it. When I try to let the windows cd repair the installation it just crashes.

you may have to take the drive out and put it into another machine that is working. Baring that go out get another harddrive, install windows on that one and slave the old one in so you can copy the data over.

Had that happen to me, turns out it my memory was shot. It could be that or some other type of system instability. Try running memtest for a while and see if anything comes up.

could get the data off using a bootable OS...
This would allow you to browse the drives and get the data off
(could use either linux or windows bootable os'es)
Linux is easier as you can easily download a bootable distro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom