New Windows CD key w/o reinstalling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
This is a follow up to my previous threads. So I called into the shop and after a long and heated argument, we both settled that I would send in my PC to their shop and the guy would put in HIS cd-key and that all the WGA notices would go away and I would always get updates and that everything would be the same as having a full genuine Windows XP Pro copy as long as I don't reformat my computer and if I do, he said I can send in my comp any time to fix the problem. The process is expected to take 15 minutes and he agreed I can watch in case he tries anything shady.

My question is that is this possible? That he can use his computers key on my comp and it'll still have all the benefits of a genuine cd key as long as I don't reformat? Does he need to reinstall Windows XP Pro on my comp to add the new cd key?

yes

he can do it the legal way or the illegal way.

legal ways

he could have a corp edition or he can have a preinstalled system in which the key was never registered or he can call ms and tell them a good lie

illegal ways

there are too many to explain here, plus i don't think that I can

But even with the illegal or legal way, I'll get the full advantage of Windows XP Pro genuine, correct? Just as long as I don't reinstall Windows.

Also, will he need to reinstall Windows to do this?

As you can tell I don't really care how he does it, I just want my genuine Windows so I can get my Microsoft updates and such and get this over with.

edit: Wait, so if he uses a Windows from a preinstalled system (such as an HP or Compaq, etc.) I can put it on my computer and it'll still count as genuine? I ask because I have another computer with XP Home and it was from Compaq.

What he is suggesting is not legal to start with. If you can get your CD key back from him, all you have to do is an inplace upgrade, provide the key when asked and go on from there. This is standard practice in Corp environments when they want to use their CD key to get rid of the OEM stuff that is part of Windows.

if he will not release your key, then you have other issues that need to be addressed by the athorities. I'm not a supporter of theft, so I would feed him is own soup if he didn't return what was mine.

During our conversation, I tried real hard to get my cd key from him but he just kept telling me he never had it and there was no proof for me to sue him with that I gave him it. So after constant arguing I just agreed with him doing this though even when I asked him how he would use a cd key on his comp and let me use it and still get the full genuine advantage, he said it would be too complicating to explain anyways.

btw, the compaq has never reinstalled windows xp but it is windows xp HOME, I am running on Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom