New ssd how to get OS on to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowd11

Baseband Member
Hey all
just got a new SSD and was wondering how to move the OS and so apps to it. Everything is on an HDD right now and would really appreciate it if i was able to keep all data. (a lot is from steam and with a slow connection it take 20-24 hours per game) Also i was wondering if there are any apps to keep of an SSD or highly recommended to keep on? Its a 64 GB crucial SSD and the Os is Win7 64 bit.

BTW sorry if this is wrong place for thread wasn't sure where to put it.

If you want the OS on that drive you're going to have to re-install it. I'm not sure if Steam can be ran from another drive (if that's what you're wanting to do). However, if you want to move it over to the SSD, all you have to do is drag and drop into their respective locations on each drive. Install steam on the SSD and drag the contents of Steam from the old drive right in there, replace everything. Works almost flawlessly for me (I've had to re-download a few games for some unknown reasons)

OK other then simply a normal install is there a difference? would i lose other data?

I recently got an ssd drive myself, OCZ has a very good guide about "Do's and Dont's" with your ssd drive, I would dare to say that if your going to image your existing drive, then disabling defrag on windows 7 is a must. I recommend that you read this guide before you install your o.s.

OCZ Forum - SSD ABC Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom