New Server Advice / Parition Size / Server 2003 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

htcs

In Runtime
I know i already posted this in the Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs section and i wasn't sure how to move or delete that one. Sorry for the double.

The Question:

So I went and purchased an HP ProLiant ML350 w/ a Dual-Core Xeon processor, 4 GB RAM and 4-250 SATA HDD's in RAID-5.

So i'm currently at the screen where it's asking me to either make a partition or choose the partition i want to install Server 2003 R2 on.

Here i need some help. I have 715 GB of space available. I want to make 2 partitions, a C: and a D:. I want C: for Server 2003, and applications that will be run on the server. And D: to hold data (eg. user profiles and other data).

How much space do you think i will need to crate for C: that should sustain me for at least a few years?

I was thinking about 75 GB and leaving the other 640 GB for D:

What do you think?

Go ahead and install it on C:

Then obtain a partitioning program and partition them as follows:

C: Local Disk - Depending on how many programs you install localy on C: I would set it to 50GB just so you have enough overhead. If you do happen to run out of space, you can always repartition to add space from one to another.
G: APPS Drive - Admin Specified
S: Shared Drive - Admin Specified
M: Swap Drive - Admin Specified
U: Users Drive (Home Directory)

This is just an example of what my server looks like at work, I'm in the process of changing it but this is the current config

Whats even easier is using the HP Smart Start if it came with the server, so did it? This will do most of the work for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom