New PC what OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
I justrecently purchased a "new" pc. I'm not too experianced with these older systems and would like advice to what to put on it. I don't want this thing to just touch the minimum requirements I would like this to be a smooth running machine.

Intel Celeron, 500Mhz
256 Megs of RAM
Motherboard, Case, PSU, etc.

Win2k, I despise this OS but would this best fit the requirements. It may be slightly to high once SP4 Rollup 1 is applied.

I will not consider Win ME

Win98 and Win 95 are also open to me but with these specs I think I can push for a newer OS.

I'm also open to Linux I'm aware that Redhat 7.2 or 7.3 would fit the requirments but are there any other distros that would acceptable? Would such an old Linux Kernal prevent me from setting this PC up to be on the home network?

win 2000 would be a good choice on that computer. or xp (with no service packs) if you added 256mb more ram.

Hey Tyler (Again)

I have posted a reply to your Query in the Linux Section also. If you want go with Windows 98SE would be A good option, I know alot of people have reccomended 2000, which I personally found buggy as all get out but that would also be an option if you can stomach it, but 98' should do you just fine

Jake

If this is mainly going to be an internet/typing/office machine go with Win2000. But if you're going to try and play older games and stuff on this pc I'd put in 98se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom