New PC booting slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.

huck_finn

Baseband Member
I just built this PC about 2 weeks ago... it was going great, booting up fast etc, then yesterday it started hanging.

When I boot up, I see the black mobo welcome screen and it sits there for a while, about 1 min, then finds the drives. Then I get a black screen for a bit, about 1 min, then the windows screen pops up, then black, 1 min, the monitor power cycles and finally I get to log in.

I should mention, I tried to OC a few days ago, and it froze on me. I'm now at default speeds.

I've tried:
FDISK /MBR
fixmbr (using the install cd)
Flashing the Bios
MemTest - 0 errors
Reset Bios to defaults

Anyone have any ideas? I really dont want to reformat again But this is enough to make me do it.

The first part is for sure a BIOS issue..but once NTLDR grabs it for sure its a windows thing. I had this EXACT problem with my machine up until last week when I pointed down the problem! It was a freaking driver that controls Firewire devices causing me a 2 minute "black screen" until the windows logon screen came up...anywho download Microsoft BootVis.. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664 Then launch it once installed and go up to the TRACE menu and the click next boot+ driver delays..this will tell you EXACTLY what driver is causing the problem..it shows you your total boot time..and how much a delay the driver in question was delaying the boot process...then from there you go about fixing it.

I found that my motherboard didnt at all like a USB mouse plugged into it when it boots. Replacing the USB mouse with a PS/2 mouse shaved 1 minute off my boot time. The other was the firewire driver as mentioned above. This proggy allowed me to fine tune and now I have a 25 sec boot instead of 3 min!!lol.

I tried it out, but no luck. It didn't show any problems that I could tell. I'm running an AMD 64 3200+, maybe it's a pentium thing? I ran it on my pentium too and it showed the startup drivers, but not on the AMD.

If it's for both AMD and Pentium, then it could be that I corrupted my HD when it frozed during that overclock and a reformat might be the only trick.

Thanks for the info though, I'm definately using this for my other PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom