New OS on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

developer

Baseband Member
I have an Acer TravelMate 240 Series, which i had purchased an year ago. The laptop had come with Windows Xp-Home preinstalled on it. Now i want to put a professional edition instead.
But before i format it and reinstall windows i was told by someone that i would not b able to configure the quick launch buttons.
When we right click on My Computer we i can see the acer logo and thing that ensures its a genuine Acer. This will also be missing. How can i retain all these?

Moreover a problem has been there since a long time ( perhaps since the beginning but i noticed it only 3-4 months back). I have an IR port but the port doesnt work but is always on. Is it some driver problem or what? The device is supposed to working properly according to the computer.

I had got XP installed on my laptop with a recovery disk. Please let me know.

The Acer 'Authenticity' is just useless stuff - i wouldn't worry about it - Windows will still work with or without the Acer logo. Plus you should be able to go to Acers website to download their little utilities and stuff.

I've never had luck with just upgrading from Home to Pro, there's always something that goes wrong (well, at least with my luck LOL), I suggest doing a clean install just so its... well... clean :)

Here... i even got the drivers/downloads site for you from Acer

Acer TravelMate 240

Thanks. I will definitely go for a clean Reinstall and not an upgrade. The launch buttons etc will work fine? Please also tell me how can i get my IR port working.

every feature that is in your current installation will be in the fresh installation (plus more) as long as you install all the correct asus utilities and drivers, youll get a lot more out of your system

Thanks. I downloaded the IR pack from Acer site but still couldnt get my IR to work. I will format my PC soon. Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom