New O/s..where are all my programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
I just installed an XP home on my recently rebuilt compy and I had windows XP pro on it.. but my XP pro disc is not a boot disc so i installed XP home so that I could load into an OS and try to install XP pro ( which didn't work). But, with XP home it doesn't show my programs in the start menu... But I can see them when I look at my drive and I am pretty sure I can access them too.. What can I do to get my programs in my start menu?

If you installed them in XP PRo there is no way to get them. You have to get your installers and reinstall them again.

You needed to do a repair install of XP Pro with a Pro CD. Installing home only complicated your issue.

Now you have the ol dPro install taking up space but you cant use it. You are missing registry entries among many other things that will allow it to run. If you are lucky you might be able to use the file and settings transfer wizard.

What Mak said :)

Seriously though, when you install an OS your programs are associated within the registry of the OS along with other key components that allow programs to work within an OS. YOu cannot just install a new OS on the same drive hoping your programs will work. While the files are there (as you can see) you can't do much other than saving your work.

I'd redo the installation and either create a boot disk for your XP copy or just install home. Either way you should format your drive after saving your files - because as Mak said you've just complicated the matter.

Thats what I was afraid. soo.. when I get an XP boot disc will I be able to install XP pro over home and then everything should be ok?
Basically.. I want XP pro on my comp and not home..and I would like my old files to be in XP ..soo will installing pro over home fix that or no?

Sorry if I am being confusing.

No. You cant install XP Pro again and expect it to be okay. You need to try and recover the old install. Installing again will only produce the same results you have now.

The only option you have is if you can get a XP Pro disc and recover your old install. If that isnt possible then you will be stuck formatting again and reinstalling Pro and having to reinstall all your software again.

ooooh ok, I just need to repair it then. Thank you so much. I apologize for the redundance. How can I get the XP home off my compy once I install the XP Pro?

you should have came here 1st. I'd told you to use nlite to make your xp pro bootable. or I told you to reistall xp pro inside of windows, install them to a C:\XP folder. this way you could reaccess those file. post a picture of your windows folder setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom