New Motherboard = New Windows License - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default New Motherboard = New Windows License

Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

"An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required."

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that "Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created."

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I hate Micro$oft

Old 02-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

its bullshat that is. dont they make enough money as it is? why not go ahead with that idea to allow pirated copies of xp to be authentic by paying a small amount of money for a valid product key?? how bout dropping the prices of their o/s and more people with want to buy it, find the happy/medium point. its certainly not at the moment and this new license for new motherboard is just crazy!

Aries A+ Hardware and Software Certified
Old 02-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

somebody need to bring out a new os, that isn't complicated (like linux is). I'd switch in a heartbeat
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 02-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'll agree that some of MS's policies are questionable and Linux isn't for everyone still can't get sound to work in it properly.
<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 02-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'm not surprised; Today I had swaped a an optical drive and added a hard drive,and behold, a message informing me my operating system was disabled, I was just forced to replace my previous mother,cpu and video card due to a bad power scource consequently the operating system as well, cost $130; I had to reactivate my Op by calling in, seems retarded.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

What does this mean for a home built system with oem software?
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

OEM can not be switched between computers, but retail can as long as it is only on one computer.
Biostar T-force 4U,Opteron 148@2.6Ghz.CorsairXMS DDR500-2gigs,EVGA7800GT CO.Seagate160gigSATA II,Koolance ICM 510 watercooling,Coolermaster Stacker830
Old 02-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to coreyjames66

So, now........if I replace the mobo in the e-machines that's been sitting around......even with an EXACT replacement...........I can no longer use the restore c.d.'s that came with it. WTF!
We decide which is right and which is an illusion
Old 02-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to coreyjames66

Mobo manufacturers aren't going to stand for this.

They will be sued 6 ways from Friday.

We decide which is right and which is an illusion
Closed Thread