new mobo, old raid array, windows wont boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
yeah so i can't say im really surprised that there are issues here, but i just dont know what to do.

i had a striped raid array on my old asus a7v8x mob. on the old board i had one drive running into an IDE channel and one into a sata channel (ide to sata adapter).

the new mobo is also an Asus, the a8v socket 939 one. on the new mobo i have the same hard drive going into the IDE raid channel as before and the 2nd drive going into one of the sata raid channels. (tried both sata channels, neither works)

on the new mobo when i start the computer and go to the raid controller menu it recognizes the array no problem. i deleted it and rebuilt it too. during boot the raid array is "functional."

anyways when it gets past POST it goes to the screen that says "windows failed to load properly last time" and asks what i want to do... safe mode, safe with networking, normal startup etc etc. no matter what i choose though it just restarta the computer and goes through POST again. windows never loads.

so, any advice?

i can update any info if i missed any details.

thanks a lot!

i'll add this:

under boot bios there are only 3 devices listed

FT TX ARY 1
floppy
cdrom

i can only assume that ft tx ary 1 is the raid device.

well i took everything apart again and put my old system back together *cry*

so windows boots ok on my old system.

anyone got any ideas what may be wrong with my new setup? its still a promise raid controller, i dont see why it wouldn't recognize it.

i'm unfamiliar with the bios on the new mobo but its pretty self explanatory. the only thing thats really "different" is that on my old mobo you had to enable RAID booting, and then put the raid device up on the bootlist.

on this new mobo i dont think i saw an option to enable RAID booting. maybe its hidden?

you did the same upgrade as me with kinda the same problem. I have both of those mobo's. I upgraded to an amd 3500 64bit from an amd 2600. you are going to have to lose that setup

go to your G:\Drivers\VIARAID\6420RAID\DriverDisk (I think it is this one. the sata one) with g being your cd rom drive of your Asus cd and make a floppy (you will see a floppy disc maker here)

boot from your windows cd to reinstall windows

hit f6. when prompt, load your floppy

then install windows. you will probably have to do raid after this

P.s. it could also be the G:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA or the G:\Drivers\Promise\378RAID. I did it it a couple of week ago and I forget which one it is

so my data should still be intact when all is said and done?

if i understand you correctly i just have to redo the windows install...

i do have the raid driver floppy all set up. i was going to install windows next but i didnt' want to install windows and find out that it has overwritten data all over my hard drive or something....

thanks for the info!

get another hard drive or dvd-+r and backup your data or you will lose it

then do the reinstall.

EricB said:
get another hard drive or dvd-+r and backup your data or you will lose it

then do the reinstall.

:( :( :( :( thats really sad.

just wondering, why wont a new raid controller recognize an old one? seems really dumb to me...

buckman341 said:
:( :( :( :( thats really sad.

just wondering, why wont a new raid controller recognize an old one? seems really dumb to me...

I guessing that you need to install the drivers in dos.

here another way to see them. get you a regular ide hard drive and install windows on it. install all of your raid and sata drivers then hook them up. that is what I did in the first place with mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom