New laptop with SSD 128 GB (questions with partitioning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewatzz

Beta member
Just received my new laptop. The problem was, I saw few articles about goodness of partitioning your drive.
I will use that laptop for gaming, internet, school stuff, music, multi task, just the usual. Should I partition at all? Should I put my Windows 7 home premium in 1 partition and put the program and or data in other partition? How much should I allocate for the OS?

Thanks

If it's only 128GB i personally wouldn't bother partitioning. There wouldn't be a speed boost because it's all on the same drive. The only advantage I know of is if you ever have to reformat, you don't have to back up your data because it's all on separate partitions.

Oh you mean because the SSD drive is relatively small, it wont make much difference in terms of speed?

---
I do have a 500 GB External where I store most of my stuff that I dont access much

No, partitioning won't make you see a speed improvement (I get the question all the time... some people think that partitioning it magically doubles the speed because you can write to two partitions.. but they're still using the same connection.. I hope that makes sense :tongue:)

The reason I wouldn't partition something that small is because I have a 120GB SDD in my system right now and even only installing programs I always use (no games are on this drive).. Word, Photoshop, etc etc. I have a little over 30GB left. I do realize most peoples usage scenarios are different than mine, but.. yeah :tongue:

No, The way ssds are usually done is OS and the important programs go on the ssd. The rest plus files go onto a second hard drive so as to keep the ssd free.

This keeps the ssd empty for more programs so they load quick, as you dont need fast drives to just store files.

Well for me, if it's in a laptop, I like having all my important files in one location, SSD or not.. I really hate carrying around an external hard drive :tongue:

And I retract my statement about no games being on my SSD...
There will be one.

Diablo III :cool:

Okay, I think I won't partition it. I don't really have much files and I keep throwing data/program that I dont use anymore to the external. So I should be fine with 1 partition. You guys have been very helpful, thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom