new iPod being weird - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to werdna35
Default new iPod being weird

So I just bought an iPod Nano (4gb) from a girl at school who wanted to get a full sized one. She didn't reset it or update it or anything (I asked her not to, in the evnt of her having good music on it) like that, just kind of exchanged it "as is." I'm trying to clear it and update it and stuff cuz it turns out her choice in music sucks and she didn't have much on it. However, it will not let me update, I keep getting an error 1417 or 1714 (one of those two) and when I look at how much of the space is used, it's saying like only 17 minutes for music, and like 3 gigs for "other". How do I clear that out/find out what the "other" stuff is?

Old 11-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

When the laptop's plugged in, try going into My Computer and accessing your ipod. It'll be like browsing a thumb drive, this will let you see all of the files and stuff she had stored on here.
If you still keep getting this error, check Apple's site for some info, it's decently informative. You can also take it to an Apple store if there's one near you and they can help you out. You have to make an appointment online for this.
One thing you might also try, if all else fails, is simply doing a format on the ipod to clear off everything totally (like reformatting a hard drive) and then running Ipod Updater to install the ipod software.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to werdna35

Thanks jorsoft, I took the advice on reformatting and checking like the official iPod forums or whatever. There were a bunch of threads saying something about first generation iPods not working with iTunes 7 or something. Anyway, its all cleared off and ready to go... thanks!
Closed Thread