New drive, installing Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
can i ask a question, what is the point of having vista and xp on the same hard drive? Why not just side with one of them.

I dual boot. Cause some of the conversions i do the software has not been updated to work on Vista. Plus sometimes it is nice to go back to XP. It is nice to have the options. I triple boot actually. I have XP/Vista/Ubuntu.

ahryt yea i did think of that just thought there be a big reason why thou, i have a laptop with vista n my desktop for games and design n stuff which has XP on it.

Some of us dont have the luzery of multiple PC's like that. So we use 1 PC for it all. I haev my games thru XP and all my main stuff on Vista. I am still learning Ubuntu so i use that to learn things.

It is easier for a person when they switch as well. When people are so used to XP after 6 years it is best to Dual Boot for a while till they get the hang of Vista.

I didn't think about doing it that way, Eric. That would be a whole lot simpler, wouldn't it?

But how will my boot work with this setup?

I didn't think about doing it that way, Eric. That would be a whole lot simpler, wouldn't it?

But how will my boot work with this setup?

each drive with have it's own boot info that completely separated from the other.

So Windows will stop and ask me which one I want to boot?

no. it will boot to the hard drive that you have it set to boot first in the bios.

if you have the 80 gig set to boot first, it will automatically go to xp. if you set it to boot the 250 gig first, it will automatically go to vista. if you don't want go to the bios to change the boot order (say you want to go to xp, just one time and then boot back to vista), you hit f12 and select the appropriate hdd

remember to install it exactly as I said or it won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom