New Dell = slow? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to hbhakta
Default New Dell = slow?

i recently bought a dell that has a 3.0 pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading (fsb 533). also i have a gig of ram. ever since i have gotten my computer it seems to feel slow, at times reallly slow. i dont know y this happpens but do u think its because of all the stuff they load onto it b4.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Not sure...doesnt seem right, check with CTRL+ALT+DELETE and see what the programs that you have running on it are.

1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

ive done that many times, and i end task to the ones that i know i dont need. also when i first got my dell i had around 50 proccesses running. i later when to msconfig and deselected the ones i didnt need. it runs at 30 and still i have no clue y it does this
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hbhakta,

With a brand new Dell running XP and a full gig of RAM, you shouldn't notice anything usual like this.

Please be more specific. When you say slow, what exactly are you referring to? Does it happen when you're browsing the internet? Overall performance? Switching between tasks?? Just what exactly is slow?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

when i mean slow im, talking about overall performance. like when i open up a folder it takes a good 5-10 seconds. i was thinking of just reformatting. also zipping up files take a long time. it seems my old amd 1.2 ghz with 256 ram was faster.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Well you certainly could reformat, but let's see what a mod has to say before you jump the gun on that.

If you decide to go ahead and reformat, Dell should have shipped you a recovery or utility CD w/ all your drivers on it. Do you see anything like that included w/ your shipment?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Usually, Dell pre-installs a whole lot of promotional software and demos on your PC. If you have Norton 2004, that could very well be the reason for your slowness, for it is a major resource hog. Remove everything you don't need and see if it gets any better.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
Usually, Dell pre-installs a whole lot of promotional software and demos on your PC. If you have Norton 2004, that could very well be the reason for your slowness, for it is a major resource hog. Remove everything you don't need and see if it gets any better.
There you go harking on Norton again... yeah.. we already know what you think of Norton. Read his system specs again... do you seriously think that with a full gig of ram that ANY ONE particular pre-installed software could cause these symptoms? Somehow I doubt it.

Also last I saw on Dell's website, they have started offering a 6-mo promo of McAffee rather than Norton.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Silent_Fear

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf
There you go harking on Norton again... yeah.. we already know what you think of Norton. Read his system specs again... do you seriously think that with a full gig of ram that ANY ONE particular pre-installed software could cause these symptoms? Somehow I doubt it.

Also last I saw on Dell's website, they have started offering a 6-mo promo of McAffee rather than Norton.
I believe they offer them both and you can choose which one you want. They gave me a 90-day trial of McAfee with my Dell.

The CD Lone Wolf was talking about should be blue and say "Drivers and Utilities. For Reinstalling Dell _____(whatever computer model you have) System Software" on it. In case you need it.

And how recently did you get this new computer?

-Silent Fear
Old 08-03-2004, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i got it exactly 84 days ago.

Closed Thread